Monday, August 29, 2016

Old-Fashioned Irish Potato Pie (Ice Potato Pie)


 
My Grandfather used to make these, and they were delicious! I asked him for the recipe once and what I was told was “Make it like a sweet potato pie, only use ice potatoes”. I tried once or twice to make it that way, but could never quite make it taste like his.

 
 
I searched through old cookbooks and could not find a recipe. The reason? I was looking for "Ice Potato Pie" and not "Irish Potato Pie". My family's Southern Dialect!!!


INGREDIENTS:

1 (9”) unbaked pie shell
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup hot milk, or ¾ cup half and half
1 cup rice cooked potatoes
1 tbs. Vanilla extract
Ground nutmeg to taste (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
Bake pie shell at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Set aside. Combine eggs, sugar, milk and beat well. Stir in potatoes and vanilla. Pour mixture into pie shell and sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Bak in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until set. Yield: 1 (9”) pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment