Saturday, November 21, 2015

Scalloped Sweet Potatoes and Apples



I like the traditional dishes for my Holiday family meals.  Every once in a while I will throw in a different dish. If you want the traditional dish with a different twist, this recipe will surely be a hit.

6 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 cups sliced apples
4 tbsp. butter
Salt to taste
1 tsp. mace

Boil potatoes until tender.  Slice in 1/4 inch pieces.  Butter baking dish and place a layer of sweet potatoes in bottom, then a layer of apples.  Sprinkle with sugar, salt and mace.  Dot with butter.  Repeat until dish is filled, having on top layer apples.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.

My Version:

I like to be subtle with my changes in a recipe.  Instead of layering my sweet potatoes alternately with apples, I make mine the traditional way and then add a little bit of diced apples throughout the dish.  I also add bourbon or rum in my sweet potatoes for that extra punch!

No comments:

Post a Comment